Set up, operate, or tend machines that wind or twist textiles; or draw out and combine sliver, such as wool, hemp, or synthetic fibers. Includes slubber machine and drawing frame operators.
- Air Twist Operator
- Air Twister Winder
- Automatic Beam Warper Tender
- Automatic Quilling Machine Operator
- Automatic Thread Winder
- Automatic Winder Operator
- Axminster Rug Setter
- Back Winder
- Ball Fringe Machine Operator
- Notify supervisors or mechanics of equipment malfunctions.
- Start machines, monitor operation, and make adjustments as needed.
- Tend machines with multiple winding units that wind thread onto shuttle bobbins for use on sewing machines or other kinds of bobbins for sole-stitching, knitting, or weaving machinery.
- Inspect products to verify that they meet specifications and to determine whether machine adjustment is needed.
- Tend machines that twist together two or more strands of yarn or insert additional twists into single strands of yarn to increase strength, smoothness, and/or uniformity of yarn.
- Replace depleted supply packages with full packages.
- Observe operations to detect defects, malfunctions, or supply shortages.
- Thread yarn, thread, and/or fabric through guides, needles, and rollers of machines.
- Operate machines for test runs to verify adjustments and to obtain product samples.
- Inspect machinery to determine whether repairs are needed.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $20,770.00 with most people making between $17,570.00 and $24,180.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in California. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Rock Splitters, Quarry
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Sewing Machine Operators
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
majorFine/Studio Arts, General
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorYoga Teacher Training/Yoga Therapy
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeJ F Ingram State Technical College
collegeLawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus
majorHair Styling/Stylist and Hair Design
onetCounter and Rental Clerks