Cut, shape, and assemble wooden articles or set up and operate a variety of woodworking machines, such as power saws, jointers, and mortisers to surface, cut, or shape lumber or to fabricate parts for wood products.
- Accordion Maker
- Alteration Worker
- Antique Furniture Repairer
- Antique Repairer
- Apprentice, Mechanist, Wood
- Boat Oar Maker
- Bow Maker
- Cabinet Assembler
- Cabinet Builder
- Cabinet Door Maker
- Produce or assemble components of articles, such as store fixtures, office equipment, cabinets, or high-grade furniture.
- Verify dimensions or check the quality or fit of pieces to ensure adherence to specifications.
- Set up or operate machines, including power saws, jointers, mortisers, tenoners, molders, or shapers, to cut, mold, or shape woodstock or wood substitutes.
- Measure and mark dimensions of parts on paper or lumber stock prior to cutting, following blueprints, to ensure a tight fit and quality product.
- Reinforce joints with nails or other fasteners to prepare articles for finishing.
- Attach parts or subassemblies together to form completed units, using glue, dowels, nails, screws, or clamps.
- Establish the specifications of articles to be constructed or repaired or plan the methods or operations for shaping or assembling parts, based on blueprints, drawings, diagrams, or oral or written instructions.
- Cut timber to the right size and shape and trim parts of joints to ensure a snug fit, using hand tools, such as planes, chisels, or wood files.
- Match materials for color, grain, or texture, giving attention to knots or other features of the wood.
- Trim, sand, or scrape surfaces or joints to prepare articles for finishing.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Equipment Selection - Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $36,060.00 with most people making between $19,290.00 and $59,170.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 9,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 9,100 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 240 replacement openings for approximately 240 total annual openings.
- Tree Trimmers and Pruners
- Plasterers and Stucco Masons
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Automotive Body and Related Repairers
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Printing Press Operators
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
onetAircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeBishop State Community College
collegeJohn C Calhoun State Community College
collegeJ F Drake State Technical College
collegeLos Angeles Trade Technical College
majorCabinetmaking and Millwork