Set up, operate, or tend wood sawing machines. May operate CNC equipment. Includes lead sawyers.
- Automatic Bandsaw Tender
- Automatic Edger
- Automatic Log Cut-Off Sawyer
- Backup Sawyer
- Band Saw Operator
- Band Saw Runner
- Band Sawyer
- Band Scroll Saw Operator
- Bandmill Operator
- Bead Cutter
- Adjust saw blades, using wrenches and rulers, or by turning handwheels or pressing pedals, levers, or panel buttons.
- Inspect and measure workpieces to mark for cuts and to verify the accuracy of cuts, using rulers, squares, or caliper rules.
- Examine logs or lumber to plan the best cuts.
- Set up, operate, or tend saws or machines that cut or trim wood to specified dimensions, such as circular saws, band saws, multiple-blade sawing machines, scroll saws, ripsaws, or crozer machines.
- Inspect stock for imperfections or to estimate grades or qualities of stock or workpieces.
- Operate panelboards of saw or conveyor systems to move stock through processes or to cut stock to specified dimensions.
- Mount and bolt sawing blades or attachments to machine shafts.
- Monitor sawing machines, adjusting speed and tension and clearing jams to ensure proper operation.
- Select saw blades, types or grades of stock, or cutting procedures to be used, according to work orders or supervisors' instructions.
- Guide workpieces against saws, saw over workpieces by hand, or operate automatic feeding devices to guide cuts.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $28,810 with most people making between $18,180 and $43,290
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 1,900 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,700 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
- Pesticide Handlers, Sprayers, and Applicators, Vegetation
- Logging Equipment Operators
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Solderers and Brazers
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Painters, Transportation Equipment
- Helpers--Production Workers
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
majorElectrical/Electronics Drafting and Electrical/Electronics CAD/CADD
collegeThe University of Alabama
collegeJ F Drake State Community and Technical College