Operate or control an entire process or system of machines, often through the use of control boards, to transfer or treat water or wastewater.
- Basin Tender
- Biosolids Management Technician
- Clarifying Plant Operator
- Disposal Operator
- Disposal Plant Operator
- Drinking Water Technician
- Filter Tender
- Filtration Operator
- Add chemicals such as ammonia, chlorine, or lime to disinfect and deodorize water and other liquids.
- Inspect equipment or monitor operating conditions, meters, and gauges to determine load requirements and detect malfunctions.
- Collect and test water and sewage samples, using test equipment and color analysis standards.
- Record operational data, personnel attendance, or meter and gauge readings on specified forms.
- Operate and adjust controls on equipment to purify and clarify water, process or dispose of sewage, and generate power.
- Maintain, repair, and lubricate equipment, using hand tools and power tools.
- Clean and maintain tanks, filter beds, and other work areas using hand tools and power tools.
- Direct and coordinate plant workers engaged in routine operations and maintenance activities.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $64,400.00 with most people making between $40,430.00 and $91,740.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 9,800 people in California. It is projected that there will be 10,700 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 100 openings due to growth and about 250 replacement openings for approximately 350 total annual openings.
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Signal and Track Switch Repairers
- Printing Press Operators
- Power Plant Operators
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators
majorRailroad and Railway Transportation
majorWater Quality and Wastewater Treatment Management and Recycling Technology/Technician
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeSanta Rosa Junior College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeUtah Valley University
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation