Grind, sand, or polish, using hand tools or hand-held power tools, a variety of metal, wood, stone, clay, plastic, or glass objects. Includes chippers, buffers, and finishers.
- Aircraft Skin Burnisher
- Balance Wheel Arm Burnisher
- Balance Wheel Hand Filer
- Barrel Finisher
- Barrel Repairer
- Bit Shaver
- Casting Finisher
- Grind, sand, clean, or polish objects or parts to correct defects or to prepare surfaces for further finishing, using hand tools and power tools.
- Mark defects such as knotholes, cracks, and splits for repair.
- Move controls to adjust, start, or stop equipment during grinding and polishing processes.
- Select files or other abrasives, according to materials, sizes and shapes of workpieces, amount of stock to be removed, finishes specified, and steps in finishing processes.
- Measure and mark equipment, objects, or parts to ensure grinding and polishing standards are met.
- Verify quality of finished workpieces by inspecting them, comparing them to templates, measuring their dimensions, or testing them in working machinery.
- Record product and processing data on specified forms.
- Trim, scrape, or deburr objects or parts, using chisels, scrapers, and other hand tools and equipment.
- Remove completed workpieces from equipment or work tables, using hand tools, and place workpieces in containers.
- Load and adjust workpieces onto equipment or work tables, using hand tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Equipment Selection - Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $29,170.00 with most people making between $18,900.00 and $43,820.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 4,200 people in California. It is projected that there will be 4,200 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 130 replacement openings for approximately 130 total annual openings.
- Landscaping and Groundskeeping Workers
- Rock Splitters, Quarry
- Coil Winders, Tapers, and Finishers
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Pourers and Casters, Metal
- Foundry Mold and Coremakers
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
collegeWest Valley College
majorOceanography, Chemical and Physical
majorAutobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeThe University of Alabama