Use hand tools or hand-held power tools to cut and trim a variety of manufactured items, such as carpet, fabric, stone, glass, or rubber.
- Aluminum Sheet Cutter
- Banana Room Cutter
- Basket Mender
- Basting Cleaner
- Basting Puller
- Belt Splicer
- Bow Maker
- Bright Cutter
- Mark or discard items with defects such as spots, stains, scars, snags, chips, scratches, or unacceptable shapes or finishes.
- Trim excess material or cut threads off finished products, such as cutting loose ends of plastic off a manufactured toy for a smoother finish.
- Cut, shape, and trim materials, such as textiles, food, glass, stone, and metal, using knives, scissors, and other hand tools, portable power tools, or bench-mounted tools.
- Separate materials or products according to size, weight, type, condition, color, or shade.
- Mark identification numbers, trademarks, grades, marketing data, sizes, or model numbers on products.
- Read work orders to determine dimensions, cutting locations, and quantities to cut.
- Count or weigh and bundle items.
- Mark cutting lines around patterns or templates, or follow layout points, using squares, rules, and straightedges, and chalk, pencils, or scribes.
- Unroll, lay out, attach, or mount materials or items on cutting tables or machines.
- Stack cut items and load them on racks or conveyors or onto trucks.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $23,270 with most people making between $17,550 and $33,250
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 2,400 people in California. It is projected that there will be 2,200 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 50 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.
- Slaughterers and Meat Packers
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
- Solderers and Brazers
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Textile Knitting and Weaving Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
collegeJohn C Calhoun State Community College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorMarine Biology and Biological Oceanography
majorAvionics Maintenance Technology/Technician
onetCounter and Rental Clerks