Cut, grind, and polish eyeglasses, contact lenses, or other precision optical elements. Assemble and mount lenses into frames or process other optical elements. Includes precision lens polishers or grinders, centerer-edgers, and lens mounters.
- Artificial Glass Eye Maker
- Artificial Plastic Eye Maker
- Bench Hand
- Bench Optician
- Benchroom Shop Optician
- Bevel Polisher
- Contact Lens Blocker
- Contact Lens Blocker and Cutter
- Contact Lens Cutter
- Adjust lenses and frames to correct alignment.
- Mount, secure, and align finished lenses in frames or optical assemblies, using precision hand tools.
- Mount and secure lens blanks or optical lenses in holding tools or chucks of cutting, polishing, grinding, or coating machines.
- Shape lenses appropriately so that they can be inserted into frames.
- Assemble eyeglass frames and attach shields, nose pads, and temple pieces, using pliers, screwdrivers, and drills.
- Inspect lens blanks to detect flaws, verify smoothness of surface, and ensure thickness of coating on lenses.
- Clean finished lenses and eyeglasses, using cloths and solvents.
- Select lens blanks, molds, tools, and polishing or grinding wheels, according to production specifications.
- Examine prescriptions, work orders, or broken or used eyeglasses to determine specifications for lenses, contact lenses, or other optical elements.
- Set dials and start machines to polish lenses or hold lenses against rotating wheels to polish them manually.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $31,120.00 with most people making between $19,180.00 and $45,630.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 2,300 people in California. It is projected that there will be 2,400 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 10 openings due to growth and about 70 replacement openings for approximately 80 total annual openings.
- Electrical and Electronics Installers and Repairers, Transportation Equipment
- Timing Device Assemblers and Adjusters
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Printing Press Operators
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Tire Builders
collegeUniversity of Alabama at Birmingham
majorOpticianry/Ophthalmic Dispensing Optician
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
majorOphthalmic Laboratory Technology/Technician
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorDiagnostic Medical Sonography/Sonographer and Ultrasound Technician
collegeMt. San Antonio College
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorCommunications Systems Installation and Repair Technology
collegeCalifornia State University-San Bernardino