Set up, operate, or tend machines to coat or paint any of a wide variety of products, including glassware, cloth, ceramics, metal, plastic, paper, or wood, with lacquer, silver, copper, rubber, varnish, glaze, enamel, oil, or rust-proofing materials.
- Abrasive Coating Machine Operator
- Abrasive Coating Machine Set Up Operator
- Air Drier
- Air Drier Machine Operator
- Asphalt Coater
- Automatic Paint Sprayer Operator
- Banding Machine Operator
- Bead Forming Machine Operator
- Bead Forming Machine Set Up Operator
- Observe machine gauges and equipment operation to detect defects or deviations from standards, and make adjustments as necessary.
- Determine paint flow, viscosity, and coating quality by performing visual inspections, or by using viscometers.
- Weigh or measure chemicals, coatings, or paints before adding them to machines.
- Select appropriate coatings, paints, or sprays, or prepare them by mixing substances according to formulas, using automated paint mixing equipment.
- Set up and operate machines to paint or coat products with such materials as silver and copper solution, rubber, paint, glaze, oil, or rustproofing materials.
- Turn dials, handwheels, valves, or switches to regulate conveyor speeds, machine temperature, air pressure and circulation, and the flow or spray of coatings or paints.
- Start and stop operation of machines, using levers or buttons.
- Record operational data on specified forms.
- Start pumps to mix solutions and fill tanks.
- Operate auxiliary machines or equipment used in coating or painting processes.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $30,170.00 with most people making between $18,530.00 and $46,720.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 6,700 people in California. It is projected that there will be 6,400 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 140 replacement openings for approximately 140 total annual openings.
- Nursery Workers
- Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Grinding and Polishing Workers, Hand
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeGeorge C Wallace State Community College-Hanceville
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorAirframe Mechanics and Aircraft Maintenance Technology/Technician
majorNaval Architecture and Marine Engineering
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeGadsden State Community College
majorComputer and Information Systems Security/Information Assurance