Set up, operate, or tend paper goods machines that perform a variety of functions, such as converting, sawing, corrugating, banding, wrapping, boxing, stitching, forming, or sealing paper or paperboard sheets into products.
- Bag Machine Operator
- Bag Machine Tender
- Bag Maker
- Bag Presser
- Bag Valver
- Bender Machine Operator
- Bindery Machine Operator
- Box Brander
- Examine completed work to detect defects and verify conformance to work orders, and adjust machinery as necessary to correct production problems.
- Start machines and move controls to regulate tension on pressure rolls, to synchronize speed of machine components, and to adjust temperatures of glue or paraffin.
- Adjust guide assemblies, forming bars, and folding mechanisms according to specifications, using hand tools.
- Install attachments to machines for gluing, folding, printing, or cutting.
- Measure, space, and set saw blades, cutters, and perforators, according to product specifications.
- Observe operation of various machines to detect and correct machine malfunctions such as improper forming, glue flow, or pasteboard tension.
- Stamp products with information such as dates, using hand stamps or automatic stamping devices.
- Place rolls of paper or cardboard on machine feedtracks, and thread paper through gluing, coating, and slitting rollers.
- Fill glue and paraffin reservoirs, and position rollers to dispense glue onto paperboard.
- Cut products to specified dimensions, using hand or power cutters.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $34,230.00 with most people making between $18,580.00 and $53,940.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 6,500 people in California. It is projected that there will be 5,700 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 60 replacement openings for approximately 60 total annual openings.
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Food Batchmakers
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Semiconductor Processors
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorAnimal/Livestock Husbandry and Production
collegeJefferson Davis Community College
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeAlabama Southern Community College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeHeritage Christian University