Help production workers by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
- Abrasive Mixer Helper
- Acid Filler
- Advertising Material Distributor
- Air and Water Filler
- Aircraft Machinist Helper
- Airport Maintenance Laborer
- Almond Blancher
- Alodize Machine Helper
- Anglesmith Helper
- Animal Stunner
- Cut or break flashing from materials or products.
- Operate machinery used in the production process, or assist machine operators.
- Examine products to verify conformance to quality standards.
- Observe equipment operations so that malfunctions can be detected, and notify operators of any malfunctions.
- Lift raw materials, finished products, and packed items, manually or using hoists.
- Count finished products to determine if product orders are complete.
- Mark or tag identification on parts.
- Load and unload items from machines, conveyors, and conveyances.
- Help production workers by performing duties of lesser skill, such as supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work areas and equipment.
- Clean and lubricate equipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $24,430 with most people making between $17,800 and $35,510
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 39,400 people in California. It is projected that there will be 42,500 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 320 openings due to growth and about 650 replacement openings for approximately 970 total annual openings.
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Rock Splitters, Quarry
- Meat, Poultry, and Fish Cutters and Trimmers
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Foundry Mold and Coremakers
- Solderers and Brazers
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
- Grinding and Polishing Workers, Hand
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
collegeSan Diego State University
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetPackers and Packagers, Hand
collegeWest Georgia Technical College
majorAdministrative Assistant and Secretarial Science, General
collegeThe University of Alabama
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
onetCounter and Rental Clerks