Supervise and coordinate the activities of ground crew in the loading, unloading, securing, and staging of aircraft cargo or baggage. May determine the quantity and orientation of cargo and compute aircraft center of gravity. May accompany aircraft as member of flight crew and monitor and handle cargo in flight, and assist and brief passengers on safety and emergency procedures. Includes loadmasters.
- Air Cargo Ground Crew Supervisor
- Air Cargo Ground Operations Supervisor
- Air Cargo Supervisor
- Aircraft Loadmaster
- Airfreight Loading Supervisor
- Airfreight Operations Agent
- Airport Operations Supervisor
- Airport Ramp Supervisor
- Airport Service Supervisor
- Baggage Handling Supervisor
- Distribute cargo in such a manner that space use is maximized.
- Calculate load weights for different aircraft compartments, using charts and computers.
- Direct ground crews in the loading, unloading, securing, or staging of aircraft cargo or baggage.
- Determine the quantity and orientation of cargo and compute an aircraft's center of gravity.
- Accompany aircraft as a member of the flight crew to monitor and handle cargo in flight.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ER.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $53,930.00 with most people making between $33,010.00 and $80,380.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 1,200 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,300 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 20 openings due to growth and about 20 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
- Forest and Conservation Technicians
- First-Line Supervisors of Correctional Officers
- Fire Inspectors
- First-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Logging Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers
- Railroad Conductors and Yardmasters
- Ship and Boat Captains
- Mates- Ship, Boat, and Barge
onetAthletes and Sports Competitors
majorAir Traffic Controller
onetArchitectural and Engineering Managers
majorAviation/Airway Management and Operations
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeUniversity of Florida
onetShip and Boat Captains
collegeMt. San Antonio College
collegeCommunity College of Allegheny County
majorAirline/Commercial/Professional Pilot and Flight Crew