Directly supervise and coordinate the activities of helpers, laborers, or material movers.
- Aircraft Cleaning Supervisor
- Boat and Plant Utility Supervisor
- Building Materials or Lumber Yard Supervisor
- Car Cleaning Supervisor
- Car Wash Supervisor
- Carpenter Labor Supervisor
- Chute Boss
- Circus Supervisor
- Circus Train Supervisor
- Cleaning Supervisor
- Plan work schedules and assign duties to maintain adequate staff for effective performance of activities and response to fluctuating workloads.
- Collaborate with workers and managers to solve work-related problems.
- Review work throughout the work process and at completion to ensure that it has been performed properly.
- Transmit and explain work orders to laborers.
- Check specifications of materials loaded or unloaded against information contained in work orders.
- Inform designated employees or departments of items loaded or problems encountered.
- Examine freight to determine loading sequences.
- Evaluate employee performance and prepare performance appraisals.
- Perform the same work duties as those supervised or perform more difficult or skilled tasks or assist in their performance.
- Prepare and maintain work records and reports of information such as employee time and wages, daily receipts, or inspection results.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $47,590.00 with most people making between $27,630.00 and $71,400.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 21,100 people in California. It is projected that there will be 27,500 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 640 openings due to growth and about 430 replacement openings for approximately 1,070 total annual openings.
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Lodging Managers
- Buyers and Purchasing Agents, Farm Products
- First-Line Supervisors of Correctional Officers
- First-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Aquacultural Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorAccounting and Business/Management
collegeUniversity of Florida
collegeUniversity of Miami
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeCalifornia State Polytechnic University-Pomona