Drive ambulance or assist ambulance driver in transporting sick, injured, or convalescent persons. Assist in lifting patients.
- Ambulance Attendant
- Ambulance Driver
- Certified Emergency Vehicle Operations Technician (CEVO Technician)
- Class B Driver
- CPR Ambulance Driver (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation Ambulance Driver)
- Driver Medic
- Emergency Care Attendant (ECA)
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- Drive ambulances or assist ambulance drivers in transporting sick, injured, or convalescent persons.
- Remove and replace soiled linens or equipment to maintain sanitary conditions.
- Place patients on stretchers and load stretchers into ambulances, usually with assistance from other attendants.
- Accompany and assist emergency medical technicians on calls.
- Earn and maintain appropriate certifications.
- Replace supplies and disposable items on ambulances.
- Report facts concerning accidents or emergencies to hospital personnel or law enforcement officials.
- Administer first aid, such as bandaging, splinting, or administering oxygen.
- Restrain or shackle violent patients.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $27,930.00 with most people making between $19,660.00 and $42,130.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 2,000 people in California. It is projected that there will be 2,400 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 40 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 80 total annual openings.
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Radiologic Technicians
- Home Health Aides
- Physical Therapist Aides
- Dental Assistants
- Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers
- Municipal Firefighters
- Lifeguards, Ski Patrol, and Other Recreational Protective Service Workers
- Bus Drivers, School or Special Client
majorEmergency Medical Technology/Technician (EMT Paramedic)
collegeSan Diego State University
collegeCharles A. Jones Career and Education Center
onetEmergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics
majorEmergency Care Attendant (EMT Ambulance)
collegeLoma Linda University
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science