Drive bus or motor coach, including regular route operations, charters, and private carriage. May assist passengers with baggage. May collect fares or tickets.
- Bus Driver
- Bus Operator
- CDL Driver (Commercial Drivers License Driver)
- Charter Coach Driver
- Charter Driver
- City Bus Driver
- Coach Operator
- Day Haul or Farm Charter Bus Driver
- Delivery Driver
- Drive vehicles over specified routes or to specified destinations according to time schedules, complying with traffic regulations to ensure that passengers have a smooth and safe ride.
- Park vehicles at loading areas so that passengers can board.
- Advise passengers to be seated and orderly while on vehicles.
- Inspect vehicles, and check gas, oil, and water levels prior to departure.
- Assist passengers, such as elderly or disabled individuals, on and off bus, ensure they are seated properly, help carry baggage, and answer questions about bus schedules or routes.
- Handle passenger emergencies or disruptions.
- Record information, such as cash receipts and ticket fares, and maintain log book.
- Collect tickets or cash fares from passengers.
- Regulate heating, lighting, and ventilating systems for passenger comfort.
- Report delays or accidents.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $42,460.00 with most people making between $25,250.00 and $60,910.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 26,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 30,400 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 380 openings due to growth and about 510 replacement openings for approximately 890 total annual openings.
- Correctional Officers and Jailers
- Pest Control Workers
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Automotive Glass Installers and Repairers
- Manufactured Building and Mobile Home Installers
- Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Rail Yard Engineers, Dinkey Operators, and Hostlers
- Subway and Streetcar Operators
- Bridge and Lock Tenders
- Conveyor Operators and Tenders
onetBus Drivers, School or Special Client
collegeCalifornia State University-Sacramento
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeUniversity of California-Davis
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorTruck and Bus Driver/Commercial Vehicle Operator and Instructor
majorHealth and Physical Education/Fitness, General
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeUniversity of Hawaii at Manoa