Transport students or special clients, such as the elderly or persons with disabilities. Ensure adherence to safety rules. May assist passengers in boarding or exiting.
- Bus Driver
- Bus Driver/Monitor
- CDL Driver (Commercial Drivers License Driver)
- School Bus Driver
- School Bus Driver/Custodian
- School Bus Driver/Mechanic
- School Bus Driver/Teacher Assistant
- School Bus Operator
- School Transportation Director
- Follow safety rules as students board and exit buses or cross streets near bus stops.
- Comply with traffic regulations to operate vehicles in a safe and courteous manner.
- Maintain order among pupils during trips to ensure safety.
- Check the condition of a vehicle's tires, brakes, windshield wipers, lights, oil, fuel, water, and safety equipment to ensure that everything is in working order.
- Escort small children across roads and highways.
- Report any bus malfunctions or needed repairs.
- Pick up and drop off students at regularly scheduled neighborhood locations, following strict time schedules.
- Maintain knowledge of first-aid procedures.
- Prepare and submit reports that may include the number of passengers or trips, hours worked, mileage, fuel consumption, or fares received.
- Read maps and follow written and verbal geographic directions.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $33,180.00 with most people making between $22,260.00 and $45,460.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 25,500 people in California. It is projected that there will be 28,400 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 290 openings due to growth and about 490 replacement openings for approximately 780 total annual openings.
- Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria
- Carpet Installers
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Rotary Drill Operators, Oil and Gas
- Automotive Glass Installers and Repairers
- Manufactured Building and Mobile Home Installers
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Ambulance Drivers and Attendants, Except Emergency Medical Technicians
- Rail Yard Engineers, Dinkey Operators, and Hostlers
- Bridge and Lock Tenders
onetBus Drivers, Transit and Intercity
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetAirline Pilots, Copilots, and Flight Engineers
collegeUniversity of California-Davis
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
majorCriminalistics and Criminal Science
majorTruck and Bus Driver/Commercial Vehicle Operator and Instructor
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles