Drive a light vehicle, such as a truck or van, with a capacity of less than 26,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), primarily to deliver or pick up merchandise or to deliver packages. May load and unload vehicle.
- Bulk Delivery Driver
- Car Escort
- Delivery Driver
- Delivery Person
- Directory Carrier
- Distributor of Directories
- Distributor Operator
- Obey traffic laws and follow established traffic and transportation procedures.
- Inspect and maintain vehicle supplies and equipment, such as gas, oil, water, tires, lights, or brakes, to ensure that vehicles are in proper working condition.
- Report any mechanical problems encountered with vehicles.
- Present bills and receipts and collect payments for goods delivered or loaded.
- Load and unload trucks, vans, or automobiles.
- Verify the contents of inventory loads against shipping papers.
- Turn in receipts and money received from deliveries.
- Maintain records, such as vehicle logs, records of cargo, or billing statements, in accordance with regulations.
- Read maps and follow written or verbal geographic directions.
- Report delays, accidents, or other traffic and transportation situations to bases or other vehicles, using telephones or mobile two-way radios.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $35,180.00 with most people making between $19,310.00 and $63,620.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 98,300 people in California. It is projected that there will be 111,500 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 1,320 openings due to growth and about 1,960 replacement openings for approximately 3,280 total annual openings.
- Couriers and Messengers
- Meter Readers, Utilities
- Nursery Workers
- Helpers--Extraction Workers
- Rail Car Repairers
- Tire Repairers and Changers
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Tool Grinders, Filers, and Sharpeners
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
collegeCalifornia State University-Sacramento
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeFresno Pacific University
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
majorAirline/Commercial/Professional Pilot and Flight Crew
onetHeavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeDiablo Valley College
majorTruck and Bus Driver/Commercial Vehicle Operator and Instructor
collegeUniversity of California-Davis