Drive switching or other locomotive or dinkey engines within railroad yard, industrial plant, quarry, construction project, or similar location.
- Car Barn Laborer
- Car Mover
- Car Repairman
- Coal Tram Driver
- Coal Trammer
- Diesel Dinkey Engineer
- Diesel Dinkey Operator
- Dinkey Driver
- Dinkey Engine Operator
- Confer with conductors and other workers via radio-telephones or computers to exchange switching information.
- Signal crew members for movement of engines or trains, using lanterns, hand signals, radios, or telephones.
- Observe and respond to wayside and cab signals, including color light signals, position signals, torpedoes, flags, and hot box detectors.
- Drive engines within railroad yards or other establishments to couple, uncouple, or switch railroad cars.
- Inspect engines before and after use to ensure proper operation.
- Apply and release hand brakes.
- Read switching instructions and daily car schedules to determine work to be performed, or receive orders from yard conductors.
- Inspect the condition of stationary trains, rolling stock, and equipment.
- Observe water levels and oil, air, and steam pressure gauges in order to ensure proper operation of equipment.
- Spot cars for loading and unloading at customer locations.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2010, the average annual wage in California was $32,850 with most people making between $27,290 and $40,320
California projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Hazardous Materials Removal Workers
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Derrick Operators, Oil and Gas
- Rotary Drill Operators, Oil and Gas
- Service Unit Operators, Oil, Gas, and Mining
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Stationary Engineers and Boiler Operators
- Chemical Plant and System Operators
- Gas Plant Operators
- Tank Car, Truck, and Ship Loaders
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorTruck and Bus Driver/Commercial Vehicle Operator and Instructor
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeHuntsville Bible College
majorTraffic, Customs, and Transportation Clerk/Technician
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorRailroad and Railway Transportation