Operate railroad track switches. Couple or uncouple rolling stock to make up or break up trains. Signal engineers by hand or flagging. May inspect couplings, air hoses, journal boxes, and hand brakes.
- Air Brake Operator
- Air Hose Coupler
- Brake Holder
- Brake Rider
- Car Coupler
- Car Hopper
- Car Rider
- Car Runner
- Car Shifter
- Signal locomotive engineers to start or stop trains when coupling or uncoupling cars, using hand signals, lanterns, or radio communication.
- Pull or push track switches to reroute cars.
- Observe signals from other crewmembers so that work activities can be coordinated.
- Inspect couplings, air hoses, journal boxes, and handbrakes to ensure that they are securely fastened and functioning properly.
- Raise levers to couple and uncouple cars for makeup and breakup of trains.
- Receive oral or written instructions from yardmasters or yard conductors indicating track assignments and cars to be switched.
- Climb ladders to tops of cars to set brakes.
- Set flares, flags, lanterns, or torpedoes in front and at rear of trains during emergency stops in order to warn oncoming trains.
- Inspect tracks, cars, and engines for defects and to determine service needs, sending engines and cars for repairs as necessary.
- Make minor repairs to couplings, air hoses, and journal boxes, using hand tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $60,060.00 with most people making between $43,690.00 and $95,620.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 1,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,300 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 50 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.
- Tree Trimmers and Pruners
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators
collegeSan Bernardino Valley College
majorRailroad and Railway Transportation
majorAir Traffic Controller
majorTruck and Bus Driver/Commercial Vehicle Operator and Instructor
collegeSan Jose State University
majorAirline/Commercial/Professional Pilot and Flight Crew
collegeFresno Pacific University
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeCalifornia State University-Fresno
onetCounter and Rental Clerks