Operate small motor-driven boats. May assist in navigational activities.
- Boat Captain
- Boat Driver
- Boat Operator
- Boat Person
- Charter Boat Operator
- Crew Boat Operator
- Dock Hand
- Maintain desired courses, using compasses or electronic navigational aids.
- Follow safety procedures in order to ensure the protection of passengers, cargo, and vessels.
- Direct safety operations in emergency situations.
- Operate engine throttles and steering mechanisms in order to guide boats on desired courses.
- Oversee operation of vessels used for carrying passengers, motor vehicles, or goods across rivers, harbors, lakes, and coastal waters.
- Secure boats to docks with mooring lines, and cast off lines to enable departure.
- Service motors by performing tasks such as changing oil and lubricating parts.
- Arrange repairs, fuel, and supplies for vessels.
- Maintain equipment such as range markers, fire extinguishers, boat fenders, lines, pumps, and fittings.
- Organize and direct the activities of crew members.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: REC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $47,370.00 with most people making between $26,810.00 and $58,070.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in California. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
- Transit and Railroad Police
- Forest and Conservation Workers
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Rotary Drill Operators, Oil and Gas
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Manufactured Building and Mobile Home Installers
- Rail Yard Engineers, Dinkey Operators, and Hostlers
- Railroad Conductors and Yardmasters
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorMarine Science/Merchant Marine Officer
collegeNorthwest Shoals Community College-Muscle Shoals
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegeJohn C Calhoun State Community College
majorTruck and Bus Driver/Commercial Vehicle Operator and Instructor
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeJefferson Davis Community College