Operate mechanical boom and cable or tower and cable equipment to lift and move materials, machines, or products in many directions.
- Acid Crane Operator
- Boom Cat Operator
- Boom Crane Operator
- Boomswing Operator
- Bottom Crane Operator
- Bridge Crane Operator
- Burial Vault Deliverer and Installer
- Cantilever Crane Operator
- Cathead Operator
- Charging Crane Operator
- Determine load weights and check them against lifting capacities to prevent overload.
- Move levers, depress foot pedals, or turn dials to operate cranes, cherry pickers, electromagnets, or other moving equipment for lifting, moving, or placing loads.
- Inspect cables or grappling devices for wear and install or replace cables, as needed.
- Clean, lubricate, and maintain mechanisms such as cables, pulleys, or grappling devices, making repairs as necessary.
- Inspect and adjust crane mechanisms or lifting accessories to prevent malfunctions or damage.
- Direct helpers engaged in placing blocking or outrigging under cranes.
- Load or unload bundles from trucks or move containers to storage bins, using moving equipment.
- Weigh bundles, using floor scales, and record weights for company records.
- Review daily work or delivery schedules to determine orders, sequences of deliveries, or special loading instructions.
- Direct truck drivers backing vehicles into loading bays and cover, uncover, or secure loads for delivery.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $66,180 with most people making between $34,790 and $93,720
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 2,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 3,200 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 60 openings due to growth and about 70 replacement openings for approximately 130 total annual openings.
- Pile-Driver Operators
- Refractory Materials Repairers, Except Brickmasons
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
- Locomotive Engineers
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators
collegeShelton State Community College
collegeUniversity of Oregon
collegeChattahoochee Technical College
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorMobil Crane Operation/Operator
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
onetOperating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators
collegeUniversity of Southern California