Operate or tend machinery equipped with scoops, shovels, or buckets, to excavate and load loose materials.
- Aerial Tram Operator
- Air Shovel Operator
- Back Digger Operator
- Back Filler Operator
- Back Hoe Machine Operator
- Back Hoe Operator
- Backhoe Operator
- Clam Shovel Operator
- Coal Equipment Operator
- Diesel Scoop Operator
- Move levers, depress foot pedals, and turn dials to operate power machinery, such as power shovels, stripping shovels, scraper loaders, or backhoes.
- Set up or inspect equipment prior to operation.
- Observe hand signals, grade stakes, or other markings when operating machines so that work can be performed to specifications.
- Become familiar with digging plans, machine capabilities and limitations, and with efficient and safe digging procedures in a given application.
- Operate machinery to perform activities such as backfilling excavations, vibrating or breaking rock or concrete, or making winter roads.
- Create and maintain inclines and ramps, and handle slides, mud, and pit cleanings and maintenance.
- Lubricate, adjust, or repair machinery and replace parts, such as gears, bearings, or bucket teeth.
- Move materials over short distances, such as around a construction site, factory, or warehouse.
- Measure and verify levels of rock or gravel, bases, or other excavated material.
- Receive written or oral instructions regarding material movement or excavation.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $57,810.00 with most people making between $31,270.00 and $90,170.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 2,300 people in California. It is projected that there will be 2,600 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 20 openings due to growth and about 70 replacement openings for approximately 90 total annual openings.
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators
majorTruck and Bus Driver/Commercial Vehicle Operator and Instructor
onetOperating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeShelton State Community College
collegeJefferson Davis Community College
collegeGreater Johnstown Career and Technology Center
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
majorRailroad and Railway Transportation
majorMobil Crane Operation/Operator