Operate power pumps and auxiliary equipment to produce flow of oil or gas from wells in oil field.
- Head Pumper
- Lease Attendant
- Lease Operator
- Multi-Skilled Operator
- Oil Field Pumper
- Oil Pumper
- Oil Well Pumper
- Oil Well Service Operator
- Oilfield Plant and Field Operator
- Monitor control panels during pumping operations in order to ensure that materials are being pumped at the correct pressure, density, rate, and concentration.
- Operate engines and pumps in order to shut off wells according to production schedules, and to switch flow of oil into storage tanks.
- Perform routine maintenance on vehicles and equipment.
- Repair gas and oil meters and gauges.
- Unload and assemble pipes and pumping equipment, using hand tools.
- Attach pumps and hoses to wellheads.
- Start compressor engines, and divert oil from storage tanks into compressor units and auxiliary equipment in order to recover natural gas from oil.
- Open valves to return compressed gas to bottoms of specified wells in order to repressurize them and force oil to surface.
- Supervise oil pumpers and other workers engaged in producing oil from wells.
- Drive trucks in order to transport high-pressure pumping equipment, and chemicals, fluids, or gases to be pumped into wells.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $61,430.00 with most people making between $42,320.00 and $76,580.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in California. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Semiconductor Processors
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
collegeRiverside City College
collegeLife Chiropractic College West
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeMarion Military Institute
majorCivil Engineering Technology/Technician