Operate diesel or electric-powered shuttle car in underground mine to transport materials from working face to mine cars or conveyor.
- Buggy Driver
- Buggy Operator
- Buggy Runner
- Car Dropper
- Car Dumper
- Car Pincher
- Cart Driver
- Coal Hauler Operator
- Monitor Car Operator
- Ram Car Operator
- Control conveyors that run the entire length of shuttle cars in order to distribute loads as loading progresses.
- Drive loaded shuttle cars to ramps, and move controls in order to discharge loads into mine cars or onto conveyors.
- Clean, fuel, and service equipment, and repair and replace parts as necessary.
- Move mine cars into position for loading and unloading, using pinchbars inserted under car wheels to position cars under loading spouts.
- Guide and stop cars by switching, applying brakes, or placing scotches (wooden wedges) between wheels and rails.
- Push or ride cars down slopes, or hook cars to cables and control cable drum brakes, in order to ease cars down inclines.
- Observe hand signals, grade stakes, or other markings when operating machines.
- Open and close bottom doors of cars in order to dump contents.
- Direct other workers to move stakes, place blocks, position anchors or cables, or move materials.
- Monitor loading processes in order to ensure that materials are loaded according to specifications.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
California wage information is not available
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in California. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
- Nursery Workers
- Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Meat, Poultry, and Fish Cutters and Trimmers
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Milling and Planing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Pourers and Casters, Metal
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Helpers--Production Workers
- Dredge Operators
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
majorMotorcycle Maintenance and Repair Technology/Technician
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeFresno City College
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
collegeUniversity of California-Merced
majorAutobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician
collegeUniversity of California-Davis