Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as electronic data processing, information systems, systems analysis, and computer programming.
- Manage backup, security and user help systems.
- Purchase necessary equipment.
- Control operational budget and expenditures.
- Evaluate data processing proposals to assess project feasibility and requirements.
- Prepare and review operational reports or project progress reports.
- Review and approve all systems charts and programs prior to their implementation.
- Evaluate the organization's technology use and needs and recommend improvements, such as hardware and software upgrades.
- Develop and interpret organizational goals, policies, and procedures.
- Consult with users, management, vendors, and technicians to assess computing needs and system requirements.
- Stay abreast of advances in technology.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $169,420
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 50,100 people in California. It is projected that there will be 65,300 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 1,520 openings due to growth and about 600 replacement openings for approximately 2,120 total annual openings.
- Architectural and Engineering Managers
- Natural Sciences Managers
- Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products
- Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
- Compensation, Benefits, and Job Analysis Specialists
- Fraud Examiners, Investigators and Analysts
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Web Administrators
- Industrial Engineers
- Sales Engineers