Plan, direct, or coordinate compensation and benefits activities of an organization.
- Wage and Salary Administrator
- Position Classification Manager
- Personnel Manager
- Payroll Manager
- Job Analysis Manager
- Field Reimbursement Manager
- Field Advisor
- Employment Advisor
- Employee Benefits Manager
- Employee Benefits Director
- Contract with vendors to provide employee services, such as food services, transportation, or relocation service.
- Represent organization at personnel-related hearings and investigations.
- Plan and conduct new-employee orientations to foster positive attitude toward organizational objectives.
- Maintain records and compile statistical reports concerning personnel-related data, such as hires, transfers, performance appraisals, and absenteeism rates.
- Analyze statistical data and reports to identify and determine causes of personnel problems and develop recommendations for improvement of organization's personnel policies and practices.
- Prepare personnel forecasts to project employment needs.
- Investigate and report on industrial accidents for insurance carriers.
- Conduct exit interviews to identify reasons for employee termination.
- Negotiate bargaining agreements.
- Advise management on such matters as equal employment opportunity, sexual harassment, and discrimination.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Working Conditions and Support in their jobs.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $145,430
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,900 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 30 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 70 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Financial Managers, Branch or Department
- Transportation Managers
- Medical and Health Services Managers
- Regulatory Affairs Managers
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Loan Officers
- Insurance Sales Agents
- Sales Agents, Securities and Commodities
- First-Line Supervisors of Office and Administrative Support Workers