Plan, direct, or coordinate clinical research projects. Direct the activities of workers engaged in clinical research projects to ensure compliance with protocols and overall clinical objectives. May evaluate and analyze clinical data.
- Develop advertising and other informational materials to be used in subject recruitment.
- Organize space for study equipment and supplies.
- Solicit industry-sponsored trials through contacts and professional organizations.
- Contact industry representatives to ensure equipment and software specifications necessary for successful study completion.
- Contact outside health care providers and communicate with subjects to obtain follow-up information.
- Arrange for research study sites and determine staff or equipment availability.
- Interpret protocols and advise treating physicians on appropriate dosage modifications or treatment calculations based on patient characteristics.
- Register protocol patients with appropriate statistical centers as required.
- Direct the requisition, collection, labeling, storage, or shipment of specimens.
- Inform patients or caregivers about study aspects and outcomes to be expected.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $153,410
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 8,700 people in California. It is projected that there will be 10,500 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 180 openings due to growth and about 180 replacement openings for approximately 360 total annual openings.
- Regulatory Affairs Managers
- Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
- Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists
- Financial Analysts
- Financial Examiners
- Risk Management Specialists
- Survey Researchers
- Urban and Regional Planners
- Administrative Law Judges, Adjudicators, and Hearing Officers
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products