Plan and direct cleanup and redevelopment of contaminated properties for reuse. Does not include properties sufficiently contaminated to qualify as Superfund sites.
- Provide expert witness testimony on issues such as soil, air, or water contamination and associated cleanup measures.
- Develop or implement plans for revegetation of brownfield sites.
- Provide training on hazardous material or waste cleanup procedures and technologies.
- Design or implement plans for structural demolition and debris removal.
- Design or implement measures to improve the water, air, and soil quality of military test sites, abandoned mine land, or other contaminated sites.
- Review or evaluate designs for contaminant treatment or disposal facilities.
- Conduct quantitative risk assessments for human health, environmental, or other risks.
- Develop or implement plans for the sustainable regeneration of brownfield sites to ensure regeneration of a wider area by providing environmental protection or economic and social benefits.
- Prepare and submit permit applications for demolition, cleanup, remediation, or construction projects.
- Coordinate the disposal of hazardous waste.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $133,630 with most people making between $68,180 and $204,990
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 100,500 people in California. It is projected that there will be 113,600 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 1,310 openings due to growth and about 2,220 replacement openings for approximately 3,530 total annual openings.