Develop quantitative financial products used to inform individuals or financial institutions engaged in saving, lending, investing, borrowing, or managing risk. Investigate methods for financial analysis to create mathematical models used to develop improved analytical tools or advanced financial investment instruments.
- Risk Analyst
- Research Analyst
- Quantitative Strategy Analyst
- Quantitative Research Analyst
- Quantitative Equity Head
- Quantitative Analyst
- Portfolio Manager
- Investment Strategist
- Global Credit Quantitative Analysis Head
- Assess the potential impact of climate change on business financial issues, such as damage repairs, insurance costs, or potential disruptions of daily activities.
- Develop tools to assess green technologies or green financial products, such as green hedge funds or social responsibility investment funds.
- Develop methods of assessing or measuring corporate performance in terms of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) issues.
- Analyze pricing or risks of carbon trading products.
- Develop solutions to help clients hedge carbon exposure or risk.
- Collaborate in the development or testing of new analytical software to ensure compliance with user requirements, specifications, or scope.
- Prepare requirements documentation for use by software developers.
- Identify, track, or maintain metrics for trading system operations.
- Consult traders or other financial industry personnel to determine the need for new or improved analytical applications.
- Produce written summary reports of financial research results.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: A.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $80,390 with most people making between $44,680 and $127,310
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 14,800 people in California. It is projected that there will be 16,100 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 130 openings due to growth and about 150 replacement openings for approximately 280 total annual openings.