Analyze, test, troubleshoot, and evaluate existing network systems, such as local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), and Internet systems or a segment of a network system. Perform network maintenance to ensure networks operate correctly with minimal interruption.
- WAN Support Specialist (Wide Area Network Support Specialist)
- VoIP Network Technician
- Technical Analyst
- Systems Support Specialist
- Systems Specialist
- Senior IT Assistant (Senior Information Technology Assistant)
- Personal Computer Network Analyst
- Operations Specialist
- Networking Specialist
- Network Workstation Technical Specialist
- Run monthly network reports.
- Create or revise user instructions, procedures, or manuals.
- Research hardware or software products to meet technical networking or security needs.
- Document help desk requests and resolutions.
- Maintain logs of network activity.
- Install and configure wireless networking equipment.
- Test repaired items to ensure proper operation.
- Train users in procedures related to network applications software or related systems.
- Create or update technical documentation for network installations or changes to existing installations.
- Monitor industry websites or publications for information about patches, releases, viruses, or potential problem identification.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: REC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $77,690 with most people making between $42,840 and $121,380
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 19,700 people in California. It is projected that there will be 23,600 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 390 openings due to growth and about 250 replacement openings for approximately 640 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation