Design strategies for enterprise database systems and set standards for operations, programming, and security. Design and construct large relational databases. Integrate new systems with existing warehouse structure and refine system performance and functionality.
- Technical Operations Vice President
- System Engineer
- SQL Server Developer
- SharePoint Architect
- Management Analyst
- Knowledge Architect
- Infrastructure Architect
- Information Technology Architect (IT Architect)
- Information Modeling Engineer Specialist
- Information Engineer
- Plan and install upgrades of database management system software to enhance database performance.
- Identify and correct deviations from database development standards.
- Provide technical support to junior staff or clients.
- Develop load-balancing processes to eliminate down time for backup processes.
- Test changes to database applications or systems.
- Develop or maintain archived procedures, procedural codes, or queries for applications.
- Demonstrate database technical functionality, such as performance, security and reliability.
- Identify, evaluate and recommend hardware or software technologies to achieve desired database performance.
- Document and communicate database schemas, using accepted notations.
- Monitor and report systems resource consumption trends to assure production systems meet availability requirements and hardware enhancements are scheduled appropriately.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ICE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Conventional and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Independence in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Systems Analysis - Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $95,970 with most people making between $42,680 and $154,940
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 25,000 people in California. It is projected that there will be 30,000 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 500 openings due to growth and about 320 replacement openings for approximately 820 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation