Plan and design structures, such as private residences, office buildings, theaters, factories, and other structural property.
- Calculate potential energy savings by comparing estimated energy consumption of proposed design to baseline standards.
- Prepare operating and maintenance manuals, studies, or reports.
- Gather information related to projects' environmental sustainability or operational efficiency.
- Design environmentally sound structural upgrades to existing buildings, such as natural lighting systems, green roofs, or rainwater collection systems.
- Create three-dimensional or interactive representations of designs, using computer assisted design software.
- Inspect proposed building sites to determine suitability for construction.
- Perform predesign services, such as feasibility or environmental impact studies.
- Design structures that incorporate environmentally friendly building practices or concepts, such as Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards.
- Represent clients in obtaining bids or awarding construction contracts.
- Design or plan construction of green building projects to minimize adverse environmental impact or conserve energy.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Operations Analysis - Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $95,070 with most people making between $53,910 and $143,490
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 15,400 people in California. It is projected that there will be 16,900 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 150 openings due to growth and about 250 replacement openings for approximately 400 total annual openings.