Assist electrical engineers in such activities as process control, electrical power distribution, or instrumentation design. May prepare layouts of electrical transmission or distribution systems, supervise the flow of work, estimate project costs, or participate in research studies.
- Technologist, Development
- Technologist Electronic Design or Technical Director
- Senior Process Control Tech
- Senior Engineering Tech
- Senior Analysis Specialist
- Layout Designer
- Generation Technologist
- Generation Engineering Technologist
- Test sustainable materials for their applicability to electrical engineering systems or system designs.
- Participate in the development or testing of electrical aspects of new green technologies, such as lighting, optical data storage devices, or energy efficient televisions.
- Evaluate electrical engineering plans to determine whether they comply with applicable environmental standards.
- Create or modify electrical components to be used in renewable energy generation.
- Construct and evaluate electrical components for consumer electronics applications such as fuel cells for consumer electronic devices, power saving devices for computers or televisions, or energy efficient power chargers.
- Conduct statistical studies to analyze or compare production costs for sustainable or nonsustainable designs.
- Build or test electrical components of electric-drive vehicles or prototype vehicles.
- Assemble or test solar photovoltaic products, such as inverters or energy management systems.
- Assist engineers and scientists in conducting applied research in electrical engineering.
- Supervise the construction or testing of electrical prototypes, according to general instructions and established standards.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $70,820 with most people making between $38,130 and $103,050
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 9,200 people in California. It is projected that there will be 10,200 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 100 openings due to growth and about 220 replacement openings for approximately 320 total annual openings.