Facilitate negotiation and conflict resolution through dialogue. Resolve conflicts outside of the court system by mutual consent of parties involved.
- Participate in court proceedings.
- Specialize in the negotiation and resolution of environmental conflicts involving issues such as natural resource allocation or regional development planning.
- Organize or deliver public presentations about mediation to organizations such as community agencies or schools.
- Recommend acceptance or rejection of compromise settlement offers.
- Research laws, regulations, policies, or precedent decisions to prepare for hearings.
- Issue subpoenas or administer oaths to prepare for formal hearings.
- Conduct studies of appeals procedures to ensure adherence to legal requirements or to facilitate disposition of cases.
- Determine extent of liability according to evidence, laws, or administrative or judicial precedents.
- Prepare written opinions or decisions regarding cases.
- Rule on exceptions, motions, or admissibility of evidence.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $91,390 with most people making between $44,650 and $146,100
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,200 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,400 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 20 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
- Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare Center/Program
- Education Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Health Educators
- Business Teachers, Postsecondary
- Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Middle School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
- Instructional Coordinators
- Broadcast News Analysts