Teach occupational, career and technical, or vocational subjects at the secondary school level in public or private schools.
- Work Adjustment Instructor
- Woodwork Teacher
- Welding Teacher
- Welding Instructor
- Weaving Teacher
- Vocational Trainer
- Vocational Teacher
- Vocational Instructor
- Vocational Education Teacher
- Vocational Childcare Teacher
- Perform administrative duties, such as assisting in school libraries, hall and cafeteria monitoring, and bus loading and unloading.
- Attend staff meetings and serve on committees, as required.
- Collaborate with other teachers and administrators in the development, evaluation, and revision of secondary school programs.
- Sponsor extracurricular activities, such as clubs, student organizations, and academic contests.
- Confer with other staff members to plan and schedule lessons promoting learning, following approved curricula.
- Attend professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Place students in jobs or make referrals to job placement services.
- Prepare and implement remedial programs for students requiring extra help.
- Select, order, store, issue, and inventory classroom equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Prepare reports on students and activities as required by administration.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: S.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $70,390 with most people making between $43,230 and $98,030
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,900 people in California. It is projected that there will be 3,100 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 20 openings due to growth and about 60 replacement openings for approximately 80 total annual openings.
- Emergency Management Directors
- Training and Development Specialists
- Nursing Instructors and Teachers, Postsecondary
- Recreation and Fitness Studies Teachers, Postsecondary
- Special Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Instructional Coordinators
- Occupational Therapists
- Low Vision Therapists, Orientation and Mobility Specialists, and Vision Rehabilitation Therapists
- Nurse Midwives
- Athletic Trainers