Physicians who diagnose and provide non-surgical treatment of diseases and injuries of internal organ systems. Provide care mainly for adults who have a wide range of problems associated with the internal organs.
- Trauma Doctor
- Staff Internist, Office-Based Only
- Pulmonary Physician
- Physicians and Surgeons
- Physician-General Internal Medicine
- Conduct research to develop or test medications, treatments, or procedures to prevent or control disease or injury.
- Plan, implement, or administer health programs in hospitals, businesses, or communities for prevention and treatment of injuries or illnesses.
- Operate on patients to remove, repair, or improve functioning of diseased or injured body parts and systems.
- Prepare government or organizational reports on birth, death, and disease statistics, workforce evaluations, or the medical status of individuals.
- Direct and coordinate activities of nurses, students, assistants, specialists, therapists, and other medical staff.
- Provide consulting services to other doctors caring for patients with special or difficult problems.
- Advise surgeon of a patient's risk status and recommend appropriate intervention to minimize risk.
- Refer patient to medical specialist or other practitioner when necessary.
- Immunize patients to protect them from preventable diseases.
- Advise patients and community members concerning diet, activity, hygiene, and disease prevention.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ISR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Social and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Recognition and Relationships in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $207,130
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 5,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 6,500 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 90 openings due to growth and about 150 replacement openings for approximately 240 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation