Assess, plan, or implement fitness programs that include exercise or physical activities such as those designed to improve cardiorespiratory function, body composition, muscular strength, muscular endurance, or flexibility.
- Sports Physiologist
- Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist
- Exercise Specialist
- Exercise Physiologist, Lifestyle and Weight Management Consultant
- Exercise Physiologist Certified (EPC)
- Exercise Physiologist
- Electrophysiology Technician
- Director of Rehabilitation and Wellness
- Director of Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Evaluate staff performance in leading group exercise or conducting diagnostic tests.
- Perform routine laboratory tests of blood samples for cholesterol level or glucose tolerance.
- Mentor or train staff to lead group exercise.
- Order or recommend diagnostic procedures, such as stress tests, drug screenings, or urinary tests.
- Present exercise knowledge, program information, or research study findings at professional meetings or conferences.
- Educate athletes or coaches on techniques to improve athletic performance, such as heart rate monitoring, recovery techniques, hydration strategies, or training limits.
- Measure oxygen consumption or lung functioning, using spirometers.
- Supervise maintenance of exercise or exercise testing equipment.
- Calibrate exercise or testing equipment.
- Teach behavior modification classes related to topics such as stress management or weight control.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SIR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $68,190 with most people making between $38,070 and $100,600
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 4,000 people in California. It is projected that there will be 4,900 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 90 openings due to growth and about 90 replacement openings for approximately 180 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation