Provide advanced nursing care for patients in critical or coronary care units.
- Vascular Nurse
- Telemetry Nurse
- Step-Down Nurse
- Staff Nurse, ICU Resource Team (Staff Nurse, Intensive Care Unit Resource Team)
- Staff Nurse
- Registered Nurse Supervisor (RN Supervisor)
- Progressive Care Nurse
- Pediatric Critical Care Nurse
- Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse
- Neonatal Critical Care Nurse
- Provide post-mortem care.
- Plan, provide, or evaluate educational programs for nursing staff, interdisciplinary health care team members, or community members.
- Participate in the development, review, or evaluation of nursing practice protocols.
- Participate in professional organizations and continuing education to improve practice knowledge and skills.
- Supervise and monitor unit nursing staff.
- Identify patients' age-specific needs and alter care plans as necessary to meet those needs.
- Coordinate patient care conferences.
- Ensure that equipment or devices are properly stored after use.
- Assess family adaptation levels and coping skills to determine whether intervention is needed.
- Assess patients' psychosocial status and needs, including areas such as sleep patterns, anxiety, grief, anger, and support systems.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IEA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $101,750 with most people making between $63,450 and $149,440
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 256,000 people in California. It is projected that there will be 300,300 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 4,430 openings due to growth and about 6,040 replacement openings for approximately 10,470 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation