Assist mentally impaired or emotionally disturbed patients, working under direction of nursing and medical staff. May assist with daily living activities, lead patients in educational and recreational activities, or accompany patients to and from examinations and treatments. May restrain violent patients. Includes psychiatric orderlies.
- Interview patients upon admission and record information.
- Complete administrative tasks, such as entering orders into computer, answering telephone calls, or maintaining medical or facility information.
- Participate in recreational activities with patients, including card games, sports, or television viewing.
- Accompany patients to and from wards for medical or dental treatments, shopping trips, or religious or recreational events.
- Perform nursing duties, such as administering medications, measuring vital signs, collecting specimens, or drawing blood samples.
- Organize, supervise, or encourage patient participation in social, educational, or recreational activities.
- Aid patients in becoming accustomed to hospital routine.
- Provide patients with assistance in bathing, dressing, or grooming, demonstrating these skills as necessary.
- Maintain patients' restrictions to assigned areas.
- Provide mentally impaired or emotionally disturbed patients with routine physical, emotional, psychological, or rehabilitation care under the direction of nursing or medical staff.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SRC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $31,300 with most people making between $23,660 and $42,540
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,200 people in California. It is projected that there will be 2,300 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 10 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.
- Social and Human Service Assistants
- Dental Hygienists
- Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians
- Radiologic Technologists
- Psychiatric Technicians
- Respiratory Therapy Technicians
- Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses
- Radiologic Technicians
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Medical Assistants