Patrol assigned area to prevent fish and game law violations. Investigate reports of damage to crops or property by wildlife. Compile biological data.
- Patrol assigned areas by car, boat, airplane, horse, or on foot to enforce game, fish, or boating laws or to manage wildlife programs, lakes, or land.
- Compile and present evidence for court actions.
- Investigate hunting accidents or reports of fish or game law violations.
- Protect and preserve native wildlife, plants, or ecosystems.
- Issue warnings or citations and file reports as necessary.
- Serve warrants and make arrests.
- Provide assistance to other local law enforcement agencies as required.
- Promote or provide hunter or trapper safety training.
- Participate in search-and-rescue operations.
- Arrange for disposition of fish or game illegally taken or possessed.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2015, the average annual wage in California was $72,630 with most people making between $56,330 and $91,950
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in California. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Fire-Prevention and Protection Engineers
- Soil and Water Conservationists
- Urban and Regional Planners
- Municipal Firefighters
- Forest Fire Inspectors and Prevention Specialists
- Police Patrol Officers
- Lifeguards, Ski Patrol, and Other Recreational Protective Service Workers
- Animal Trainers
- Fitness Trainers and Aerobics Instructors
- Ambulance Drivers and Attendants, Except Emergency Medical Technicians
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeTexas Tech University
majorNatural Resources Law Enforcement and Protective Services
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo
collegeUniversity of California-Davis
onetHunters and Trappers
majorFishing and Fisheries Sciences and Management
majorWildlife, Fish and Wildlands Science and Management
collegeHumboldt State University
onetPolice Patrol Officers