Direct and may participate in the preparation, seasoning, and cooking of salads, soups, fish, meats, vegetables, desserts, or other foods. May plan and price menu items, order supplies, and keep records and accounts.
- Record production or operational data on specified forms.
- Meet with customers to discuss menus for special occasions, such as weddings, parties, or banquets.
- Arrange for equipment purchases or repairs.
- Demonstrate new cooking techniques or equipment to staff.
- Collaborate with other personnel to plan and develop recipes or menus, taking into account such factors as seasonal availability of ingredients or the likely number of customers.
- Recruit and hire staff, such as cooks and other kitchen workers.
- Meet with sales representatives to negotiate prices or order supplies.
- Prepare and cook foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- Analyze recipes to assign prices to menu items, based on food, labor, and overhead costs.
- Coordinate planning, budgeting, or purchasing for all the food operations within establishments such as clubs, hotels, or restaurant chains.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Recognition and Achievement in their jobs.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $49,810 with most people making between $25,840 and $77,880
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 19,900 people in California. It is projected that there will be 25,200 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 530 openings due to growth and about 300 replacement openings for approximately 830 total annual openings.
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Food Service Managers
- Meeting, Convention, and Event Planners
- Technical Directors/Managers
- First-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, and Material Movers, Hand