Perform duties which combine preparing and serving food and nonalcoholic beverages.
- School Cafeteria Cook
- Sandwich Artist
- Salad Counter Attendant
- Restaurant Worker
- Restaurant Team Member
- Restaurant Crew Member
- Raw Shellfish Preparer
- Prep Cook (Preparation Cook)
- Oyster Preparer
- Plan, prepare, and deliver meals to individuals with special dietary needs.
- Provide caterers with assistance in food preparation or service.
- Serve food and beverages to guests at banquets or other social functions.
- Arrange tables and decorations according to instructions.
- Pack food, dishes, utensils, tablecloths, and accessories for transportation from catering or food preparation establishments to locations designated by customers.
- Distribute food to servers.
- Perform personnel activities such as supervising and training employees.
- Cook or reheat food items such as french fries.
- Select food items from serving or storage areas and place them in dishes, on serving trays, or in take-out bags.
- Prepare and serve cold drinks, or frozen milk drinks or desserts, using drink-dispensing, milkshake, or frozen custard machines.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CRE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Realistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $23,680 with most people making between $20,810 and $29,320
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 329,700 people in California. It is projected that there will be 432,800 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 10,310 openings due to growth and about 10,650 replacement openings for approximately 20,960 total annual openings.
- Cooks, Fast Food
- Food Preparation Workers
- Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop
- Food Servers, Nonrestaurant
- Amusement and Recreation Attendants
- Gaming Change Persons and Booth Cashiers
- Stock Clerks, Sales Floor
- Meat, Poultry, and Fish Cutters and Trimmers
- Slaughterers and Meat Packers