Serve food to individuals outside of a restaurant environment, such as in hotel rooms, hospital rooms, residential care facilities, or cars.
- Tray Service Worker
- Tray Server
- Teletray Operator
- Room Service Waiter/Waitress
- Room Service Server
- Room Service Food Service Attendant
- Room Service Food Server
- Room Service Clerk
- Room Service Bellhop
- Total checks, present them to customers, and accept payment for services.
- Record amounts and types of special food items served to customers.
- Stock service stations with items, such as ice, napkins, or straws.
- Remove trays and stack dishes for return to kitchen after meals are finished.
- Prepare food items, such as sandwiches, salads, soups, or beverages.
- Determine where patients or patrons would like to eat their meals and help them get situated.
- Carry food, silverware, or linen on trays or use carts to carry trays.
- Take food orders and relay orders to kitchens or serving counters so they can be filled.
- Monitor food preparation or serving techniques to ensure that proper procedures are followed.
- Clean or sterilize dishes, kitchen utensils, equipment, or facilities.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $30,140 with most people making between $20,820 and $48,230
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 25,400 people in California. It is projected that there will be 29,900 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 450 openings due to growth and about 620 replacement openings for approximately 1,070 total annual openings.
- Food Preparation Workers
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop
- Waiters and Waitresses
- Hosts and Hostesses, Restaurant, Lounge, and Coffee Shop
- Locker Room, Coatroom, and Dressing Room Attendants
- Funeral Attendants
- Counter and Rental Clerks
- Library Assistants, Clerical