Facilitate food service. Clean tables, remove dirty dishes, replace soiled table linens; set tables; replenish supply of clean linens, silverware, glassware, and dishes; supply service bar with food; and serve items such as water, condiments, and coffee to patrons.
- Carry linens to or from laundry areas.
- Stock vending machines with food.
- Stock refrigerating units with wines or bottled beer or replace empty beer kegs.
- Wash glasses or other serving equipment at bars.
- Slice and pit fruit used to garnish drinks.
- Replenish supplies of food or equipment at steam tables or service bars.
- Mix and prepare flavors for mixed drinks.
- Carry trays from food counters to tables for cafeteria patrons.
- Garnish foods and position them on tables to make them visible and accessible.
- Run cash registers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $24,970 with most people making between $20,810 and $33,580
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 65,400 people in California. It is projected that there will be 81,300 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 1,590 openings due to growth and about 3,270 replacement openings for approximately 4,860 total annual openings.
- Food Preparation Workers
- Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop
- Janitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Nonfarm Animal Caretakers
- Baggage Porters and Bellhops
- Library Assistants, Clerical
- Stock Clerks, Sales Floor
- Packers and Packagers, Hand