Directly supervise and coordinate work activities of cleaning personnel in hotels, hospitals, offices, and other establishments.
- Superintendent, Custodian, Janitor
- Sanitation Supervisor
- Room Inspector
- Maintenance Supervisor
- Maintenance Superintendent
- Maintenance Manager
- Maintenance Director
- Maintenance and Custodian Supervisor
- Maid Supervisor
- Linen Supervisor
- Perform grounds maintenance tasks, such as removing snow and mowing the lawn.
- Perform financial tasks, such as estimating costs and preparing and managing budgets.
- Supervise in-house services, such as laundries, maintenance and repair, dry cleaning, or valet services.
- Advise managers, desk clerks, or admitting personnel of rooms ready for occupancy.
- Direct activities for stopping the spread of infections in facilities, such as hospitals.
- Evaluate employee performance and recommend personnel actions, such as promotions, transfers, and dismissals.
- Forecast necessary levels of staffing and stock at different times to facilitate effective scheduling and ordering.
- Recommend or arrange for additional services, such as painting, repair work, renovations, and the replacement of furnishings and equipment.
- Issue supplies and equipment to workers.
- Screen job applicants, and hire new employees.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $45,860 with most people making between $26,220 and $68,830
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 25,700 people in California. It is projected that there will be 28,100 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 240 openings due to growth and about 410 replacement openings for approximately 650 total annual openings.
- Food Service Managers
- First-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Personal Service Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers
- Aircraft Cargo Handling Supervisors
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, and Material Movers, Hand
- First-Line Supervisors of Transportation and Material-Moving Machine and Vehicle Operators