Directly supervise and coordinate activities of personal service workers, such as flight attendants, hairdressers, or caddies.
- Stewardess Supervisor
- Shop Supervisor
- Shop Manager
- Service Superintendent
- Salon Manager
- Salon Leader
- Rides Supervisor
- Residential Care Facility Manager
- Residential Assistant
- Resident Care Supervisor
- Apply customer feedback to service improvement efforts.
- Requisition necessary supplies, equipment, or services.
- Assign work schedules, following work requirements, to ensure quality and timely delivery of service.
- Observe and evaluate workers' appearance and performance to ensure quality service and compliance with specifications.
- Train workers in proper operational procedures and functions and explain company policies.
- Resolve customer complaints regarding worker performance or services rendered.
- Recruit and hire staff members.
- Inspect work areas or operating equipment to ensure conformance to established standards in areas such as cleanliness or maintenance.
- Collaborate with staff members to plan or develop programs of events, schedules of activities, or menus.
- Meet with managers or other supervisors to stay informed of changes affecting operations.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2015, the average annual wage in California was $42,690 with most people making between $24,750 and $67,140
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 22,100 people in California. It is projected that there will be 24,200 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 210 openings due to growth and about 410 replacement openings for approximately 620 total annual openings.
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeSan Diego State University
majorSalon/Beauty Salon Management/Manager
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeMetropolitan Career Center Computer Technology Institute
collegeGolden Gate University-San Francisco
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Office and Administrative Support Workers
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General