Train animals for riding, harness, security, performance, or obedience, or assisting persons with disabilities. Accustom animals to human voice and contact; and condition animals to respond to commands. Train animals according to prescribed standards for show or competition. May train animals to carry pack loads or work as part of pack team.
- Instruct jockeys in handling specific horses during races.
- Organize or conduct animal shows.
- Train and rehearse animals, according to scripts, for motion picture, television, film, stage, or circus performances.
- Place tack or harnesses on horses to accustom horses to the feel of equipment.
- Train dogs to work as guides for the visually impaired.
- Train dogs in human assistance or property protection duties.
- Retrain horses to break bad habits, such as kicking, bolting, or resisting bridling or grooming.
- Use oral, spur, rein, or hand commands to condition horses to carry riders or to pull horse-drawn equipment.
- Train horses or other equines for riding, harness, show, racing, or other work, using knowledge of breed characteristics, training methods, performance standards, and the peculiarities of each animal.
- Advise animal owners regarding the purchase of specific animals.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Relationships and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $39,800 with most people making between $21,200 and $64,890
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 3,900 people in California. It is projected that there will be 4,400 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 50 openings due to growth and about 150 replacement openings for approximately 200 total annual openings.
- Forest and Conservation Technicians
- Animal Control Workers
- Pest Control Workers
- Forest and Conservation Workers
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Home Appliance Repairers
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General