Select, fit, and take care of costumes for cast members, and aid entertainers. May assist with multiple costume changes during performances.
- Wardrobe Technician
- Wardrobe Supervisor
- Wardrobe Stylist
- Wardrobe Specialist
- Wardrobe Mistress
- Wardrobe Manager
- Wardrobe Custodian
- Wardrobe Attendant
- Wardrobe Assistant
- Item Repair Manager
- Care for non-clothing items, such as flags, table skirts, or draperies.
- Recommend vendors and monitor their work.
- Assign lockers to employees and maintain locker rooms, dressing rooms, wig rooms, or costume storage or laundry areas.
- Provide managers with budget recommendations and take responsibility for budgetary line items related to costumes, storage, or makeup needs.
- Participate in the hiring, training, scheduling, or supervision of alteration workers.
- Direct the work of wardrobe crews during dress rehearsals or performances.
- Inventory stock to determine types or conditions of available costuming.
- Review scripts or other production information to determine a story's locale or period, as well as the number of characters and required costumes.
- Return borrowed or rented items when productions are complete and return other items to storage.
- Study books, pictures, or examples of period clothing to determine styles worn during specific periods in history.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Fine Arts - Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama, and sculpture.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $56,290 with most people making between $24,240 and $99,550
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,800 people in California. It is projected that there will be 2,000 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 20 openings due to growth and about 80 replacement openings for approximately 100 total annual openings.
- Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria
- Dining Room and Cafeteria Attendants and Bartender Helpers
- Manicurists and Pedicurists
- Tour Guides and Escorts
- Telephone Operators
- Hotel, Motel, and Resort Desk Clerks
- Library Assistants, Clerical
- Weighers, Measurers, Checkers, and Samplers, Recordkeeping
- Office Clerks, General