Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Wholesale Manager
- Vice President Sales and Marketing
- Vice President Sales
- Vice President of Sales
- Truck Leasing Manager
- Tobacco Warehouse Manager
- Textile Conversion Manager
- Territory Supervisor
- Telesales Supervisor
- Examine products purchased for resale or received for storage to determine product condition.
- Coordinate sales promotion activities, such as preparing merchandise displays and advertising copy.
- Examine merchandise to ensure correct pricing and display, and that it functions as advertised.
- Inventory stock and reorder when inventories drop to specified levels.
- Keep records pertaining to purchases, sales, and requisitions.
- Prepare rental or lease agreements, specifying charges and payment procedures for use of machinery, tools, or other items.
- Visit retailers and sales representatives to promote products and gather information.
- Direct and supervise employees engaged in sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or performing specific services.
- Plan and prepare work schedules, and assign employees to specific duties.
- Prepare sales and inventory reports for management and budget departments.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Working Conditions and Relationships in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $77,860 with most people making between $35,720 and $131,480
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 47,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 52,700 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 510 openings due to growth and about 550 replacement openings for approximately 1,060 total annual openings.
- Medical and Health Services Managers
- Postmasters and Mail Superintendents
- Regulatory Affairs Managers
- Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
- Compensation, Benefits, and Job Analysis Specialists
- Insurance Sales Agents
- Sales Agents, Financial Services
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products
- Real Estate Sales Agents