Compose letters or electronic correspondence in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, incorrect billings, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and preparing correspondence.
- Technical Clerk
- Suggestion Clerk
- Sales Correspondent
- Office Technician
- Office Correspondent
- Membership Correspondent
- Medical Authorization Specialist
- Legislative Correspondent
- Fans Clerk
- Fan Mail Editor
- Submit completed documents to typists for typing in final form, and instruct typists in matters such as format, addresses, addressees, and the necessary number of copies.
- Prepare records for shipment by certified mail.
- Type acknowledgment letters to persons sending correspondence.
- Confer with company personnel regarding feasibility of complying with writers' requests.
- Respond to internal and external requests for the release of information contained in medical records, copying medical records, and selective extracts in accordance with laws and regulations.
- Complete form letters in response to requests or problems identified by correspondence.
- Review correspondence for format and typographical accuracy, assemble the information into a prescribed form with the correct number of copies, and submit it to an authorized official for signature.
- Compute costs of records furnished to requesters, and write letters to obtain payment.
- Obtain written authorization to access required medical information.
- Compile data pertinent to manufacture of special products for customers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: C.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $40,110 with most people making between $26,110 and $57,770
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 1,500 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,600 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 10 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.
- Bill and Account Collectors
- Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
- Payroll and Timekeeping Clerks
- Credit Checkers
- Customer Service Representatives
- Interviewers, Except Eligibility and Loan
- Cargo and Freight Agents
- Executive Secretaries and Executive Administrative Assistants
- Insurance Claims Clerks
- Office Clerks, General