Interact with customers to provide information in response to inquiries about products and services and to handle and resolve complaints.
- Recommend improvements in products, packaging, shipping, service, or billing methods and procedures to prevent future problems.
- Compare disputed merchandise with original requisitions and information from invoices and prepare invoices for returned goods.
- Review insurance policy terms to determine whether a particular loss is covered by insurance.
- Review claims adjustments with dealers, examining parts claimed to be defective, and approving or disapproving dealers' claims.
- Obtain and examine all relevant information to assess validity of complaints and to determine possible causes, such as extreme weather conditions that could increase utility bills.
- Order tests that could determine the causes of product malfunctions.
- Solicit sales of new or additional services or products.
- Contact customers to respond to inquiries or to notify them of claim investigation results or any planned adjustments.
- Determine charges for services requested, collect deposits or payments, or arrange for billing.
- Refer unresolved customer grievances to designated departments for further investigation.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ESC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Social and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $40,560 with most people making between $24,080 and $62,270
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 201,500 people in California. It is projected that there will be 231,500 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 3,000 openings due to growth and about 4,970 replacement openings for approximately 7,970 total annual openings.
- Retail Salespersons
- Switchboard Operators, Including Answering Service
- Hotel, Motel, and Resort Desk Clerks
- New Accounts Clerks
- Human Resources Assistants, Except Payroll and Timekeeping
- Receptionists and Information Clerks
- Secretaries and Administrative Assistants, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive
- Insurance Claims Clerks
- Office Clerks, General